In 2020 and beyond, the pandemic and other events impacted how young people ages 15-21 are thinking about their futures, including their education and career choices.
Equitable Futures National Youth Poll 2020-2021
How COVID-19 and Other Events are Shaping Young
People’s Perceptions of the Future
About the Survey
From September 2020 until April 2021, we will release findings from multiple nationwide polls surveying Black and Latino youth from a broad spectrum of household incomes and white youth from households with lower incomes. This research was conducted by Goodwin Simon Strategic Research with support from Equitable Futures, a project of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and is part of the Foundation’s broader portfolio to build more equitable educational and employment systems for all young people.
While the 2020-21 polls primarily focused on impacts on young people from COVID-19 with respect to their life experiences and their educational and career choices, questions were added on other subjects such as racial justice and policing and the 2020 presidential election. When notable, non-COVID findings from the polls will be highlighted on this page and elsewhere.
COVID-19 and Other Key Events Impacting Young People: Highlighted Findings
Here you can find briefs highlighting and translating key survey findings within the context of the broader fields of youth-serving professionals in which the work of Equitable Futures takes place.
- How Young People Are Experiencing COVID-19 Disruptions
- Young People Engaged and Active on Racial Justice
- Young People Forging Ahead on Education and Career Goals
You can also find summaries of highlighted research findings from Goodwin Simon Strategic Research on the youth polls already completed.
- Survey Methodology (PDF)
- Key Research Findings on COVID Youth Survey Wave 1 (PDF)
- Wave 1 Survey Results Slides (PDF)
- Key Research Findings on COVID Youth Survey Wave 2 (PDF)
- Wave 2 Survey Results Slides (PDF)
- Key Research Findings on COVID Youth Survey Wave 3 (PDF)
- Wave 3 Survey Results Slides (PDF)
- National Youth Survey Findings Memo, 2019*
* Conducted as part of the Striving to Thriving research in 2019